|Preparation time||30 Minutes|
|Cooking time||90 Minutes|
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet or dutch oven, medium-high heat.
- Salt and pepper beef, dust with flour and fry until browned on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. (work in batches to avoid overcrowding pan)
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to skillet if necessary, then add potatoes, celery, carrots and onion to skillet and cook until potatoes slightly browned (about 10 mins)
- Remove from skillet, set aside.
- Add butter to skillet.
- Add garlic and sauté about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Deglaze pan with red wine, add Guinness beer, beef stock, tomato paste, sugar, worcestershire sauce, thyme and bay leaves.
- Stir to combine and bring the mixture to a simmer, then add beef and vegetables back into skillet or dutch oven.
- Cover and transfer to oven to bake at 350 degrees for 1-2 hour until vegetables and beef are tender.
- If using slow cooker, cook 3-4 hours on low setting.
- If stew needs to be thickened add slurry (1 tablespoon flour whisked together with 1 tablespoon cold water). Return pot to stovetop and over medium heat slowly stir slurry into the stew stirring constantly. Cook 5-10 minutes until thickened
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
Recipe sources